CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

May 8, 2009

Meet Jack!


This is James Wyatt Jackson "Jack" Smith. So many names for such a precious little guy. Jack came into the world on Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 10:06 a.m. Jack weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces and was 21.5 inches long. He's absolutely perfect in every way! Wow! We're parents...it's totally surreal and the best thing EVER! He's got to be the cutest baby I've ever seen (of course I'm biased) and everyone says he looks like Johnny from the nose up and has my lips and chin and cheeks. I don't care who he looks like at all...he's so sweet.
Having him was an interesting experience. We checked into The Med to be induced at 5:30 on Wednesday evening and I was given citotex? (some kind of medicine to ripen the cervix) at around 7:00 (I think). I immediately started having contractions, though not regularly timed, but things progressed pretty quickly from there. By about 11:00 I was ready to have my epidural and had dilated to a 3. This is where things got a little rough. I was really nervous about the epidural, so I had a little anxiety issue (I was a giant baby) with the first epidural, but once it was finished I was THRILLED. I felt nothing and for about an hour got some really good sleep. Then the contractions started to come back again. I asked the nurse if this was usual and she said she would give me another "bolus (sp?)" of the epidural. That didn't work. So they called in the dr. again and he gave me a strong drug...still didn't work. Yep, that's right, they had to replace the epidural catheter because it had shifted! Two epidurals in one night...yikes! So worth it, though, as again, I didn't feel a thing and actually did get some sleep.
By morning I was dilated to 6 and things progressed pretty quickly from there. By 9:00 Thurs. morning I was already at a 9 and Jack's heart rate was dipping with my contractions. The problem was that my epidural had worn off by then and the anasthesiologist was with another patient, so those really intense, every single minute contractions that happen right before you deliver? Yep...I felt those! Those suck. You natural birth ladies really get my kudos...no way for me!
Finally I got another "bolus" of the epidural and was again, relatively numb, but definitely ready to push! Within 30 minutes, Jack was here. He had to have a little help with a vacuum since his head was slightly turned and a little stuck, so he has a nice pink bruise on the back of his head, but otherwise, he's perfect!
We go home from the hospital tomorrow and I can't wait! He is such an angel and except for not really wanting to breastfeed, he's been wonderful. I can't wait for everyone to meet him!

0 comments: