CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

May 21, 2009

2 Weeks Old--Hitting Our Stride

Jack with Daddy and his new scrum machine. 
Jack with Mommy. 

Jack is 2 weeks old today! He had his first appointment with Dr. Henderson this morning and he weighs a whopping 8 lbs, 13 oz. That's almost a pound gained since he had his bilirubin tested last Monday. He's definitely getting every drop of nutrition out of his formula. He was such a good baby today, too. People always comment on how alert he is for two weeks old. Since I have no one to compare him to, I'll just take their word for it. When he had his blood drawn for the PKU Johnny was feeding him; Jack couldn't decide if he would rather cry over the heel stick or continue to suck the bottle, so he alternated! Can't let a little blood draw ruin a perfectly good meal. 

Nighttime is getting better slowly but surely. Since Tuesday I have been waking him up in the late afternoon to feed and then keeping him awake with various activities so that he is somewhat sleepy early in the night. This allows us to get at least a few hours of sleep in. I'm also FORCING myself to sleep during the day when he sleeps so that I can stay caught up and not be so emotional by the end of the day. That seems to be working as well. The baby blues are slowly but surely dissipating. We got to see Dr. Gayle this morning and Jack brought him a rugby ball with the team's signature and Jack's footprints on it. I think Dr. Gayle really liked it and it was good to see him. Johnny and I are both so grateful to him and have the deepest respect for him. 

I think we will have our first official outings next week. He needs to meet my school friends and I think it will be safe to bring him as long as there is more looking at than touching of the baby! I'll also be bringing some hand sanitizer, so be prepared if you are going to be there. Nana and Papa are coming to visit this weekend and we may take our first road trip to visit Johnny's sisters on Monday, so that should help me to feel better, too. It's getting a little lonely around here during the day. 

Jack's umbilical stump is showing signs of falling off and hopefully it won't be much longer. Mommy can't wait to dress him up to take him out on the town. We have so many cute onesies that he really can't wear just yet since they will irritate his cord. We have been spending the afternoons doing a little bit of tummy time (again, not too much so as not to irritate the cord) as well as singing and practicing his new favorite past time, swinging. Since he is eating more, he's sleeping for longer stretches (sort of) so that's another step in the right direction. 

I can't believe how fast time is going but how slow it feels. I can't wait until we can get out and about more so that we are able to get used to seeing people. I'm also looking forward to my friends being out of school so that they have more time to visit or we can go do things with them. 

It won't be long before he's a big boy and I'll be wishing for these days back again! 

0 comments: