CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

January 3, 2009

James Wyatt Jackson Smith

Finally, my husband announced today that he is 99.99% sure about our son's name. He even went as far as to tell me I could tell my mom, so I knew he was serious. We have decided that our son will be named James Wyatt Jackson Smith and we will call him "Jack."


It has always amazed me that when you tell people what you will name your precious unborn child, some feel it is okay to make comments about the name. Look, are you the one who will be giving birth to this child, feeding and clothing him, and providing for his future? I don't think so, so what makes you think that you get to comment on the name we, his parents, have chosen for him? So far most people have really liked the name (at least they say they like it...thanks for pretending if you really don't). However, a few have expressed concern that the name doesn't fit the standard first, middle, last name rule we seem to have adopted here in America. For goodness sakes, people, the kings of England have something like five names, so what's wrong with my son having 3? 

Besides, we LOVE all 3 names. James is Johnny's father's name and since Johnny is his only son and this is Johnny's first (and maybe only) son, Johnny has always wanted to pass on his dad's name. I think it's wonderful and you should, too. We also really liked the name Jackson (well, Johnny really likes Jack better but it doesn't go with much) and Jack is short for John. This pays homage to Johnny and to my dad, whose name is John. When we put James and Jackson together, we just felt like it was too many Js and that he might become J.J. which is something we really want to avoid. We both really liked the name Wyatt from the start so we decided to break up the Js with Wyatt. James Wyatt Jackson Smith. I love it! 

Jack will be here before we know it, so we're working steadily on his nursery. We painted the walls last night and Johnny painted the trim (it's oil based) today while I was at work to save me from the fumes. I love that he's so excited to be doing these things for the baby. I can't wait until our nursery furniture and bedding get here so it will really start looking like a baby's room. We are putting down laminate flooring sometime next week, so that will be the remainder of the "bones" for the room. We've chosen a "World Adventure" theme with maps, trains, plains, and steam ships. It's super cute, but is very meaningful as we'd love nothing more than for our son to grow up with "roots and wings." We want him to know where he comes from and be proud of his family and his home, but also to have an adventurous spirit (like his daddy) and go out to explore the world. Really, though, what we want is for him to be happy, whatever that means for him. 

I'm loving him more and more every day. I just can't wait until he gets here. We love you, Jack, and we'll see you soon! 

2 comments:

Erin said...

I like the name....not pretending!! Travis really likes Wyatt, too!!

Courtney S. said...

I can't believe I misspelled "planes" in my own blog post. I'm blaming it on the lack of blood flow to my brain caused by the pregnancy.

Thanks, Erin, for liking it. We thought about having him go by Wyatt but Johnny was just set on Jack. Either is fine with me (though I prefer Jackson to Jack). Maybe I'll get my way and Jack will just be a nickname Johnny has for him. We won't really know til he's born and then I'm sure we'll call him something silly like peanut!!!