Not to copy my good friend Erin S., but I thought that I would post today about the many blessings I have in my life. I am often a bit of a pessimist, but the wonderful people and gifts God has given me are not lost on me at all. You'll have to forgive me...I'm pregnant and pretty emotional these days. If this begins to make you sick, just stop reading ;)
1. My Wonderful Husband-When I met Johnny, I fell in love with him for his spirit of adventure and encouragement of my independence. Of course, as time goes by we all change, and that includes him. I see in him a different sense of adventure now. He is going into fatherhood full force and while adventure now includes stocking up on diapers and baby wipes in preparation for our son, I see in him the same thrill at the prospect of being a father that I once saw in him about moving overseas. His support for my independence and encouragement for me to follow my dreams has always been unwavering. I love that he is a man's man, but at the same time is an emotional person who often tells me how much he loves me. I honestly love him more now than I ever have before.
2. My Family-I definitely take my family for granted. I have to stop to remember sometimes that not everyone has a family who is so willing to believe in a daughter/sister so much. I am definitely the person I am today because of the support and encouragement of my mom and dad. My brothers helped prepare me for a life with boys and never let me get away with being too much of a drama queen, and for that I am so grateful! My family is made up of such genuinely good, hard-working people that I only hope I can serve as the same role model for my own child. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, beats a life filled with love and honest, genuine values. They're the best education a kid can have.
3. My Friends-It's no secret that I am a loner in many ways and I have a few close friends who I love and respect. I've known my friend Erin F. for 22 years, and not a day goes by when I am not thankful for our friendship. We have been friends through so many life changes, and I'm looking forward to raising our children together. She's already supported me so much in this pregnancy, probably more than she knows. My friend Kristi showed me that I can let go a little bit and people will not think less of me. She taught me to relax, something I desperately needed when she came along. My friend Kathleen, even though I don't talk to her as much as I'd like, gave me confidence in my abilities in my career when I needed it most. Without her, I'm quite certain I would not have survived my two years in education hell and I might not be where I am now in my career. Besides that, she is just a wonderful person and super mom and such a great inspiration for me.
When I moved to College Station I thought that I might never fit in. Honestly, everyone here was just so full of life and warm and I didn't know how they would receive a grumpy, grouchy, nearly washed-up teacher, but they reignited my drive and showed me that genuine friendship can flourish anywhere at anytime. While I don't get to talk to some of them or "hang out" as much as I'd like, I am truly grateful for their support. I am not always the easiest person to get along with or even tolerate...I'm a perfectionist and I'm tough on myself and others. But they have always accepted these things in me and they're not afraid to tell me when I've gone overboard and I need that so much. Tiffany, Erin S., Stormy, and Courtney W., I am so thankful to have you all in my life, especially as I embark on motherhood with a physical distance between my own mom and me. I know she will be here for me, but in those emergencies when I just can't take it anymore, I also know I will have my College Station "sisters" to help me out in a pinch. That has made being 3 hours from my own family so much easier through this whole process. Certainly there are more of you out there and I could fill pages thanking all of you!
4. Jackson-I haven't even met you and I already love you so much. I absolutely cannot wait to see you and hold you and be your mom. I have always known that I was meant to be a mom and I hope that I can be a good one. I know there will be times when I mess up and I'm sure that you won't be perfect, either, but it will be your imperfections that I love most because those will be the things that make you you. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to be your mom...I just can't believe God trusted me with you. I hope that I can take all of the blessings I have in my own life and help you to realize them in yours. More than anything I want you to experience the joy of being loved and accepted and independent and grateful for such wonderful people in your life.
2 comments:
So sweet! It feels good to just get it out there for the world to see, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing!
You're awesome, Courtney! And you're going to be such a great mom!
Post a Comment