On Monday I had the chance to sub for my friend Kelly in the office as an assistant principal. This is not the first time I've done this, but this really is the first time I had some things to accomplish besides referrals (thanks, Kelly). While I'm sure these tasks were menial compared to what the APs normally accomplish in one day, I was really happy to find that I enjoyed every minute of my day that day. I even enjoyed the part where a student got upset with me for assigning him ISS...well, I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't NOT enjoy it either.
Each time I am in the office I am more convinced that this is a calling for me. When the students come in they are typically pleasant and even those who aren't don't rattle me too much. I don't mind contacting the parents as an AP...I guess I just don't have so much personally invested to take to heart if they get upset with me, nor do I have to see the student or deal with the parent on a daily basis (well, I guess for some that could become the case). I will be working in the office a couple of days a week for this semester during my conference period and I began today. When one of my former students came down he said, "oh, Mrs. Smith are you the new principal?" I replied that I was just helping and his response was, "well, you should be." Now I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult from a student, but I guess either way it probably isn't bad. As a matter of fact, several of my current students have expressed their desire to be "under my alphabet" if I am an AP next year. Ha! I don't know if that's because if they want me out of the classroom of they wouldn't mind having to see me if they got into trouble!
Either way, my days or class periods are rewarding and fulfilling and never the same. I'm beginning to imagine that this is something I will actually enjoy. I actually hope that I get a job as an administrator next year, even if it isn't at our school (though this would be my first choice, of course). I'm excited about the prospect of a new calling!
1 comments:
I had lost your blog address a while back and kept forgetting to ask for it, and now I just found it again! : ) You did a fantastic job filling in for me and you are very appreciated in the office for your efficiency and willingness to help. You'll make a great AP!
Post a Comment