CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

September 2, 2008

Oh baby!

Last night we found out we are expecting our first baby, so suddenly this blog is less about our dogs and more about our new lives. My plan is to document the significant events along the way to share with the little one someday. Here is the first significant event in the life of our new child:


On Monday, Sept. 1 (Labor Day), I decided to buy a pregnancy test. We decided this summer to begin trying to have a baby in August since that would put our due date in the summer when we would both have the most time to spend with a newborn. We decided not to tell anyone so we wouldn't put extra pressure on ourselves. Honestly, I thought that it would take months for us to conceive. I'm not sure why I thought that, but I did. Johnny was confident the entire time, telling me daily that we would conceive on the first try. Men are cocky that way, I suppose. 

So during the first week of school I was super tired. I found that to be a bit odd since it was, indeed, the first week. Sure I was not already burned out from the year. Then, I began to show symptoms of PMS. I thought, okay, that's why I'm so tired. But when my usual start date came around, nothing. I thought, okay, just a day late. Sometimes it's 27 days, sometimes 28, no big deal. But when the next day came and still nothing, I was suspicious. So there I was Monday night waiting for the results of the pregnancy test. The instructions on the box said the results could take up to 3 minutes to process...well, they didn't. Before I could even zip up my pants, there it was--PREGNANT. My stomach dropped. I rushed into the living room to show Johnny. His response? "I told you...super sperm." I was in disbelief. Fortunately, there was another test in the box. I waited about an hour, guzzling Gatorade the entire time, and then did the second test, being sure to carefully follow the instructions. Same result. This couldn't be a fluke. I was pregnant. 

I was not nearly as excited as I expected myself to be. I think in the back of my mind I was thinking of all the articles I have read about first trimester/first baby miscarriages, etc. Johnny, in his usual reassuring manner, said, "Court, God has a tendency to put things in my life exactly when I'm ready for them. It will be fine." And so here I sit, four weeks pregnant with our first child, still a little hesitant to really celebrate but excited to share our news with others. We'll need lots of prayers and reassurance but I think all will be well. So...here goes the rest of our lives. 

0 comments: