CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

May 11, 2010

Mother's Day and Jack's 1 Year Checkup

Sorry this is a pictureless post, but I'm not a big fan of my camera these days. I need a new memory card and I can't seem to locate my USB cord, so it's kind of pointless to take pictures.

This year for Mother's Day, we took it easy and spent the day together as a family. Last year, Jack had been home for only 24 hours and we were pretty exhausted, so I have no idea how it all went down. I do know my mom, dad, and brothers were here, but that's about all I remember. This year, Johnny, Jack, and I spent the morning hanging out playing with Jack's new birthday toys and enjoying the cool morning outside. Around 10:00 we went to Toys R Us to look for more toys for Jack to buy with his birthday money, but we didn't see anything he just HAD to have, so we moved on to TJ Maxx to look for shorts for Johnny...no luck there, either. We decided to eat lunch and I wanted to go to Golden Corral so I could get Jack lots of fruit and veggies and so that I could have whatever I wanted. We just beat the rush and though it was a little crowded, we had a nice time watching Jack devour everything we put in front of him...man that kid can eat!

Despite the pleasant morning, I think the excitement of the weekend finally caught up with Jack on Sunday afternoon and he completely melted down when I was trying to get him to lay down for a nap...he threw himself on the floor and rolled around screaming...he even has a bruise on his head from his tantrum-throwing efforts. I finally got him to go to sleep on the couch with me and he slept for about an hour and a half, but when he woke up, he had an even bigger fit that lasted even longer. Poor guy was just totally out of sorts. Fortunately, some dinner did the trick and he was a happy camper after that. Overall, I have to say it was a great day spent with my boys.

Today we took Jack for his 1 year checkup. Here are his latest stats and the answers to some of my silly questions for Dr. Henderson:

Length: 31 1/2 inches (95 percentile)
Weight: 24.5 pounds (75 percentile...leaning out...except for his chubby legs)

Tantrums?: As long as he isn't seriously hurting himself (head bruises don't count), ignore him...I got a knowing look from Johnny on this one.

Eating...a lot?: He can have all the fruit and veggies he wants...only one serving of carbs per meal and vitamin drops if he's not eating meat (and he doesn't touch the stuff)

Only 3 teeth?: Totally normal, but a quick look at his gums by Dr. H. showed that Jack is getting ready to get all of his top teeth...this might explain some of the tantrums.

Not talking...at all?: Again, totally normal. Since he understands plenty there's nothing to worry about. He's a typical boy.

Waking up at 4:00 every morning?: Let him cry it out...if we can stand it...which we can. It'll take a couple of weeks, but just like learning how to go to bed without rocking, he'll learn he needs to sleep longer (which he does since he is now only taking 1 nap/day).

Overall, Jack is a happy, healthy little boy. He had 3 shots, cried for about a minute and then was fine. He's such a brave boy! His next visit is in August...and we'll wait to make that appointment so he and baby sister Cate can go together!

0 comments: