CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

September 10, 2009

4 Month Check Up

Jack went to visit Dr. Henderson on Tuesday for his 4 month well check and shots. We were very excited to find out how much he had grown because people keep commenting on how big he is. I guess it's tough to tell when you see him every day. 


His appointment was at 3:45 so I had planned to miss a half day of work to be able to pick him up in plenty of time and just basically enjoy an afternoon with him. However, on Tuesday morning I woke up with a sore throat and headache that I've pretty much had every morning for at least a week, I was tired from being up with Jack twice in the night, and basically, I just needed a rest. So I put in for a full day instead of a half day and absolutely loved not having to worry about a sub! Johnny went ahead and took Jack to daycare so I could have some peace and quiet and I proceeded to catch up on all the sleep I've missed since May 7. This was the first time I've been in our house alone since Jack was born and I slept and slept and slept. I finally got up at around noon, enjoyed a bath without having to worry about Jack waking up, and got to take my time getting ready to go. Overall, it was an exquisite morning. 

Johnny and I went to get Jack from school and then took him to the dr. Jack was wonderful in the waiting room where Johnny read him Dr. Seuss until the nurse came to get us. Finally, the big moment of weighing and measuring arrived; the first time she measured Jack he was 27 inches. I commented that this was 4 inches longer than at his 2 month visit and she seemed shocked, so she measured him again to be sure. This time he was 27.5 inches long! The nurse was truly amazed. Jack is off the charts for height and at 4 months he was only in the 50th percentile! Then she put him on the scale; Jack weighed 17 lbs, 11 oz. That makes him 95th percentile. Needless to say, his daddy was a very happy man when we left, mumbling something about being careful not to get too tall as to avoid being a second row player!

Dr. Henderson looked Jack over and asked if we were experimenting with different foods. I was so relieved that he seemed perfectly fine with the fact that Jack has been eating cereal from a spoon for 2 weeks and that he has already had bananas and applesauce. I was totally expecting a lecture for rushing my child and fostering bad eating habits and risking increased food allergies and all the other consequences you read about starting a baby on solids too soon. Dr. Henderson is so great; he's a very common sense kind of guy and seems to really appreciate my opinion as Jack's mom. He listens to Johnny and me and actually considers what we say. We're very lucky to have such a down to earth, realistic pediatrician and not one who only follows "the books."

Finally, it was time for the dreaded shots. Miss Heather came in and with her lightning speed gave Jack his 3 immunizations. He was a real trooper! He only cried for a minute or so and then it was back to eating his hands. He's such a tough guy. Of course, this time he did get a fever after his shots that lasted through the next day, but he wasn't too cranky, so I was relieved. I was really hoping this would make him sleep longer, but true to form, my little guy was up with the rooster in the morning. He definitely takes after me in this area. 

I love watching Jack grow and can't wait until his next well visit. It's just so exciting to see how big he's getting! 

0 comments: