CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

March 13, 2009

The Generosity of Friends

I haven't posted about my baby shower last weekend because I really wanted to wait until I had pictures loaded, but my internet connection is so slow at home I might never get around to it, so I wanted to share about the shower, pictures or no pictures. 


This was the first of 3 baby showers I will have and as one of the rugby mom's said last Saturday, "you must feel so loved." Boy do I! This shower was on Sunday and was hosted by 4 of the greatest friends a girl can have...my English gals Courtney W., Stormy, Tiffany, and Erin S. They got together to plan this great travel theme to go along with the baby's room and had invitations that read like travel reservations. They also had a game card for the shower that looked like a travel itinerary and even made me a "passport to motherhood" where all of the attendees could write advice for me. It is such a precious keepsake and I will treasure it forever. 

We had a great time at the shower and so many of my good friends were there. Almost all of the English dept. girls either came or stopped by, my good friend Camille was there and even though she didn't know a single soul besides me, she commented on how welcome she felt and how much fun she had. My friend Kathleen from Magnolia also got to attend and it was great to see her...she has 5 kids of her own so she stays super busy running the roads with them! It was just a wonderful afternoon with fun and laughter and lots of warm wishes and hugs...oh, and one giant pregnant lady!

I imagine that the term "shower" comes from the gifts that are showered on the baby and new family. Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate all of the great gifts that we received on Sunday. I think, though, the true shower comes from all of the love that is directed toward the new mommy...the sense of the strong bond that women share because of this special gift we are given by God. The sense that only other women can know what we're about to go through and that we can turn to them whenever we need them for advice, comfort, a good cry, or a break from the ins and outs of new mommyhood. I know that's what I felt showered in the most on Sunday...love and support of wonderful friends who, in the absence of my own mother (she's 3 hours away) and any sisters have made me feel that I will never be alone in any of these new experiences. Thank you, girls, for being my family. 

1 comments:

Mrs. Courtney Wellmann said...

I found your blog and have enjoyed reading it. You are surrounded by people who care about you, and we can't wait to see your son Jackson, but we will always be here for you during the fun and craziness that is motherhood!
Courtney W.