CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October 20, 2009

Lagging Behind

So I know I haven't posted anything new lately, but since school started, I'm not taking as many pictures of Jack as I was this summer, so I feel guilty that I don't always have a picture to post. I guess I can update everyone on what's been going on around the Smith house without pictures, but it won't be nearly as much fun!


New Car
Sometime in September I was rear-ended at the intersection of Harvey Rd. and Hwy 30. The bumper of my truck was pretty well messed up and we ended up getting a settlement from the other driver's insurance company to get it fixed. Since we paid off the Isuzu in May, we didn't have to use the money to fix the bumper. Instead, we recently went down to Houston to our favorite used car dealership, Carmax, and purchased a very pretty black 2006 Nissan Murano. It's super fun to drive and very comfy and stylish. It's not even a "fully loaded" model but it has some great features. I have auto AC (which for some of you is old news, but I didn't even know such a thing existed in a vehicle), steering wheel radio controls, a fancy screen that shows my fuel efficiency among other things, and a few other bells and whistles. Let's just say it's a step up from the old Isuzu, though my good ole Rodeo was a great car. 

Class Reunions
Johnny and I are 10 years apart in age, so we knew that our 10 and 20 year class reunions would occur in the same year. However, we never imagined that they would end up on the same weekend. This past weekend we went home to attend both of our class reunions. We ended up going to my hometown football game on Friday night and his actual reunion party on Sat. night. Both were pretty interesting, but there was a marked difference in the atmospheres of each one. 

My reunion was actually on Sat. night as well, so I missed out on seeing lots of people. We did meet in the ag. building before the football game on Friday night, so I got to see about 30 of my former classmates. Surprisingly I recognized and knew the name of everyone there. I have to say, though, that it felt a little awkward being there. I am from a pretty small 3A school where there is a major university close by, so many of my classmates stayed in the area and went to college in Beaumont. Thus, they have all stayed in touch and many of them see each other on a regular basis. Some of us, though, "got out." I hate to say it that way, because it implies that staying there is somehow inferior, and I definitely don't think that. I think the two groups found it a little tough to identify with one another, and therefore a "cliquish" feeling permeated the gathering. Maybe it was just me...

Johnny's reunion, however, was much more relaxed. Sure, folks hung out with some of their same friends from high school, but with the addition of alcohol and 10 extra years, people were less concerned about appearances and more concerned with catching up and having fun. Everyone was very nice and, of course, all remembered Johnny. We got LOTS of comments about how cute Jack is (isn't Facebook an amazing thing?). It was a very fun night, but I couldn't help shaking the thought that with Jack staying with Johnny's parents, I should definitely be sleeping! 

Work
Work continues not to feel like work, which amazes me daily. I simply love my job...more than I've ever loved any other job. Sure, some days are more taxing than others (more emotionally taxing than anything), but the fact that I get to help students every single day is remarkable to me. The fact that I don't bring much work with me is such a blessing right now. I can give Jack my undivided attention which makes having to have him in daycare a little more bearable. 

Jack
Jack is such a joy and is on the verge of some very big milestones. We're pretty sure he's teething right now since a) he is pretty whiney for no apparent reason and b) the only thing that seems to calm him is rubbing his gums. Teething rings and clean, wet washcloths are a must around here right now. Jack is also able to sit up for a few seconds on his own and is getting stronger and better balance every day. It won't be long before he is sitting up big and tall. Tummy time is going better these days but he still gets fussy after a little while. You can see him trying his best to scoot to whatever or whomever he wants, and sometimes it works. More often than not, though, he ends up scooting backwards which pisses him off even more. Poor guy...he'll get it sooner or later. His legs are getting very strong and he is able to stand while holding our fingers only for pretty good amounts of time. He can even manage to hold onto the side of a table for just a few seconds. Pretty cool. 

We're getting lots of laughter from the little guy these days. He's very ticklish, so it's fun to tickle his belly or under his arms to get a little laugh. He LOVES peek-a-boo and even laughs spontaneously at things now. The other day I was on the phone with my mom, not laughing, just talking, and he just busted out with a big ole belly laugh! It was too adorable. We've got a pretty good routine going and putting him to be is getting easier and easier. Best of all, he is consistently sleeping through the night. Woo hoo! We sure do love our little guy.

Rugby Season
Rugby season is getting into full swing for the fall. The rain has inhibited practice for a couple of weeks, and I can't say that I mind too much. It's been nice having Johnny here in the evenings. When he does have practice, it's not too bad since they now practice from 8-10. Johnny gets to come home and hang out with us for a couple of hours before he has to go to practice. I get help with Jack and whatever needs to be done around the house, and Jack goes to bed 30 min to an hour after Johnny leaves, so that gives me about an hour of quiet time as well. Not too shabby if you ask me. I'm looking forward to game weekends with Johnny and Jack. 

That's about it for the Smith Family update. Jack's 6 month birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, so I'll for sure post some new pics and stats then. 

0 comments: