CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

August 8, 2010

Life With Two Babies




We went to Target today. It took us approximately 20 minutes to load up the kids and all of their "stuff" including the massive double stroller, which Jack ended up shunning to do some running around in the store. While in Target, we were asked twice if we had twins. At one point, Johnny replied, "no, just poor planning." I don't think the people he was talking to thought it was as funny as he did. This is our "new normal" and we're adjusting, slowly but surely.

I've hesitated to blog about Cate's first couple of weeks because, honestly, I haven't wanted to jinx us. I'm still reluctant to call this easier than Jack's newborn days as I'm sure she will suddenly develop the worst case of colic known to man if I do, so I'll just say that right now, I'm feeling very blessed to have had two very good weeks with our baby girl. Cate sleeps an awful lot, which I have been assured is normal. I was reading my blogs from Jack's first couple of weeks and noted that I wrote he was up for 3 hours in a row then 2 hours one day. And that was during the day. He didn't sleep at all at night for about the first month of his life. Cate sleeps then wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat until the evening, when she really wakes up at around 3:00 and is up for a while to play, etc. She eats pretty frequently in the evening (I think she's tanking up), I give her a sponge bath at around 8:30-9:00, "top her off" with a little bit of bottle, and then settle her into her bouncy seat (in her crib) for about 3-4 hours. The she's up twice during the night to eat. I'm so grateful to have 3-4 hours of sleep at a time, I consider us extremely blessed!

Jack was cruising along just fine when my mom and Johnny's mom and niece were here. Once they left, though, he focused all of his attention on me. He's been whining nonstop and been very clingy. We're trying to give him as much time as possible and filling his days with fun activities like a trip to the Children's Museum and outing to the mall today. Today was the best day of our three day weekend, so I'm hopeful that it only gets better. Poor guy...he's teething on top of everything, so he doesn't feel well and is already cranky from that. He's been hitting us and the kids at school and we're trying to curb this as best as possible. I think with time, he'll adjust. Thank goodness for very patient daycare teachers!

I adore my babies. It looks as though they're going to have very different personalities, and I thank God for helping me to be patient with both of them. Postpartum has been much better for me in every way this time, so I think I'm adjusting much better than I did with Jack. I can't wait to see what the next few years bring for our sweet little family.

0 comments: